Saturday, May 22, 2010

Illustration Friday - 'early'



arches w/c paper, watercolor & pen, 5.5x 7.5

What a crazy, busy day today, finally getting a chance to post this! My offering for IF's word this week - a quirky take on 'The early bird gets the....well you know. And unlike this birdie, I am rarely early for anything :)

I've been studying birds a lot recently, through books and while out with my camera. When I lived in Michigan I loved watching robins (which also happen to be the state bird there) after a rain pulling out big, juicy worms to take home for dinner. I know worms are good for our gardens but hey we gotta share, right?

Anyhow, I'm working on a collection of small bird illustrations - they aren't your usual bird studies though. I've been adding a little fun, pattern, or quotes etc. to them. The images may even work themselves into my new Etsy shop which I'm hoping to have ready to go some time in June. I'll still have my other shop of mixed media originals & prints but this one will be for illustrations & design work including greeting cards & invitations.

Stay tuned for updates as I'll be hosting a giveaway for the grand opening...

Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

Dana S. Whitney said...

Birds are amazing and are probably the closest living animals to dinosaurs! But they are so twitchy that they are VERY hard to photograph, let alone sketch!

Ms Leaney said...

Lovely work! I look forward to seeing more of your IF works

Have a lovely day
x

studio lolo said...

His personal timepiece is a nice touch ;)

Looking forward to your cards on Etsy!

MrBibleHead said...

Very nice Laura./ Can't wait to see the whole collection. Love the pocket/neck watch. :o)

ale balanzario said...

Great illo!!

roberto M. said...

Hi Laura, beutiful watercolour!! funny the bird with the watch. ja ja

theartofpuro said...

Love it!Great concept and waercolours:)

Heather said...

Laura, This is very nicely done. I love the detai of the watch around the birdies neck!

CĂ©lia Fernandes said...

really really nice! love it***