Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Journal Spread - trying something new...

Just wanted to share the beginning of a spread in the new journal I made a few days ago. I came across a wonderful article in the latest issue (July/Aug.) of Somerset Studio by a favorite artist of mine, DJ Pettitt.

I just love her portraits and the way she incorporates them into journals, sewing right onto the pieces, adding lovely embellishments & ribbons etc. etc.

Anyhow, in this particular article she so generously steps out one of her portraits much like she does when teaching one of her classes (which I've yet to take, but if the stars align I'll be at one of the retreats she's at next year)

I haven't worked in this way before so I thought I'd give it a try. After a local juried show here in May, I asked an artist friend (she's been working in oils some 20+ yrs) to critique my work and she said to work more on my values. As with most beginners - considered to be anyone who has painted 5 years or less - I struggle with getting enough value into my paintings and with DJ's method you establish values first, working dark to light as you go, just like working with oils. The next step to this will be adding color and then onto the finishing touches.....

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Sandy K. said...

Beautiful, Laura. I like how the eyes are looking in different directions...my own eyes were drawn there immediately.

Sierra said...

She did a wonderful job - can't wait to see your recreation!