Saturday, June 20, 2009

IMT - 'ticket' [to a summer solstice]

The prompt this week over at Inspire Me Thursday is 'ticket' and so with tomorrow being June 21st, the Summer Solstice, I was inspired to create a poster-like drawing with a titled 'ticket' at the bottom (I may add more to the ticket, ie. date, exact time of the solstice etc.)

I tried to incorporate things that make me think of summer:

RED STRIPES - pool umbrellas, awnings, beach towels, and the red & white stripes of our US flag...
GOLDEN YELLOW - abundant sunshine & fresh fruit pies...maybe that's why my sun's middle ended up looking like a pie?!
CLOUDS - big, white, fluffy ones dotting the sky like cotton balls, giving us [short] respite from the hot, blazing, sun...and that sun is mighty hot here in Texas! :>
KITES - flying them up on a hilltop or in a field on a cool, clear breezy day, usually the day after a heavy rainfall...
GRASS - the whir of lawn mowers, knee-deep meadows, emerald green, ladybugs...


'summer solstice' moleskine, artist crayons, color pencil, pitt pen


closeup for detail

I had a lot of fun with this and actually I love creating art with the solstices in mind. I didn't get a chance to do anything for the summer solstice last year as we were in the middle of a move, but I did do one for summer 2007, you can see it in my Flickr album here as well as one for the winter solstice 2008 which you can view here

I hope you find the time to do something fun or relaxing to ring in the first day of summer.

Have a great weekend y'all!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

very summery. i love it. just wish it felt that way here. now if only the rain would stop.