Monday, November 5, 2007

EDM #34 - fall leaf



I haven't done any of the challenges in quite a while so glad I can finally share a quick sketch & watercolor - a fall leaf that my daughter proudly presented to me about 3 weeks ago. I decided to press it so I could preserve its' wonderful glowing colors.

Enjoying the beauty of early Autumn is always bittersweet as too soon November winds start to blow and inevitably take with them all the wonderful saturation of colors and textures, leaving behind a dull, bare landscape....at least until the snow flies :)

The stripped and shapely
Maple grieves
The ghosts of her
Departed leaves.
The ground is hard,

As hard as stone.
The year is old,
The birds are flown.
And yet the world,

In its distress,
Displays a certain
Loveliness...

-- John Updike, A Child's Calendar

12 comments:

E-J said...

Nice leaf, and an inventive crop. Autumn lends itself so well to poetry ... Your post reminded me also of Gerard Manley Hopkins' "Spring and Fall".

jill said...

love the leaf picture. seems so haphazard, just perched there on the side edge like it might just blow on by. great job!

juj said...

lovely leaf - must have been inspired by one those colorful trees on your flickr page - don't you just love this time of year?

Anonymous said...

I love the vibrancy of the colors and the looseness of the sketch. You have also arranged the leaf on the page in a very beautiful way.

Anonymous said...

Great color and blending! Also like the shadow - nice touch.

Susan Tuttle said...

Oooo--yes!!--gorgeous!! I love what you do with watercolors my friend!

Big Hugs,
Susan

Serena Lewis said...

Lovely work, Laura....I particularly like the position of the leaf on the page.

valerie walsh said...

very beautiful and I love the look of your blog!!!

LINDSAY said...

So beautiful in it's simplicity!

emilayusof said...

This is so beautiful, Laura! The story and poem to go with it even make it more beautiful!

Anonymous said...

very nice; and you are right... imagination does rule the world

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful leaf! And you did such a great job painting it. Nicely done.