Monday, June 18, 2007

The Mighty Moleskine




















5.25 x 8.50 moleskine sketchbook
watercolor, pitt pen, colored pencils

I have been wanting to get one of these lengendary notebooks for a few months now but kept putting it off because I had my hand*book journals and other assorted small and large sketchbooks etc. etc. and did I really need another one, they're all the same anyway right? Well let me tell you - they are NOT! I am so impressed with the quality of it - from the original 'moleskine' cover to the creamy smooth threadbound pages. The only downfall I see with getting one is that now I'll have a really hard time sketching in my other books!!

My first entry in it pays homage to our upcoming Summer Solstice here in the Northern Hemisphere on June 21st. Solstice comes from the Latin sol, sun; sistit, stands. For several days before and after each solstice, the sun appears to stand still in the sky—that is, its noontime elevation does not seem to change. For thousands of years many cultures have held solstice celebrations and associated it with renewal, life, fertility and the potential for a good harvest celebrated with outdoor feasts, singing and dancing.

It's the "longest day" of the year so have a picnic, invite some friends over for a bbq, stay up late and do some stargazing, light some candles (citronella will keep the mosquitoes at bay) and enjoy!!

2 comments:

K said...

You're doing wonderfully with the Moleskin, Laura! Maybe one day I'll get one, too. I only have one page left in my sketchbook and I'm going out at lunchtime to buy a new one, but I can't spring for something that expensive now . . .
Oh, and congratulations on having this displayed on the Moleskin site today! Happy Solstice!
Blessings,
K

Laura said...

Thank you Kathleen!! Yes they are a bit pricey but I've been wanting to try one for a while now so...
And yes Moleskinerie did feature it on their site, thought it was a great welcome as it was my first post at the Flickr group :D

Enjoy the weekend!
Laura
xo