Saturday, June 9, 2007

EDM #62 - previous challenge: different medium





















graphite, oil sticks, strathmore heavyweight textured art paper, 9x12

Try a different medium than you normally use on a challenge you've already done: I decided to redo the very first challenge: #1 shoe/s. Most of my sketches are done with pen & watercolor or just watercolor so oil sticks are new to me. I"ve been sketching all kinds of shoes for about a week now- flats, heels, sandals, flipflops - so it seemed like the perfect time to give this a try before I get bored and move on to something new!

This textured art paper was wonderfully receptive to the medium and because it was already a light shade of pink /rose, one of the colors was already done for me :) Great fun with this one!!

12 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow these are worthy of Dorothy herself.

Lin said...

FABULOUS!~!!! Reminds me of Dorothy's slippers!! WELL DONE!

biteyourowntail said...

Lovely work. I also love red shoes i a ridiculous sort of way.

K said...

Hi Laura, I just left a comment on your Flickr page asking what medium you did these in, now I see (but you might post the answer there, too, so Flickr people can see, too).

These are very fun, and it looks like you did have a lot of fun, too! I'd like to see some of the other shows you've drawn this week. Will you post them on Flickr, too?
Thanks.
Love, K

laserone_ said...

Very nice! I like this. :)

Lynn said...

The shoes are great! I really like the other shoes as well.

mrana said...

Wonderful job Laura! The shoes look so pretty! Great card too :)

Laura said...

Thank you all for visiting - appreciate your kind words! So nice to see you Ana! Kathleen - I'll see about uploading some of the other shoes I did too.

And I just love your sentiment bityourowntail, you must have quite a collection :)

Anonymous said...

There's no place like home! Wow, great shoes. No awesome shoes. I really like this.

Laura said...

Wow, thanks too phthaloblu, so glad you like them!

As much as I love the detail of CP and the washiness of watercolors, this gave me the chance to loosen up and let go of my need for perfection - a bit :)

Serena Lewis said...

Great work, Laura.....love the cute bows!

Laura said...

Thanks for taking the time to visit and for your kind words too Serena - much appreciated!