Monday, May 10, 2010

Illustration Friday - 'Fearless'



"There is no such thing as a fearless warrior or a dread-free artist."
Steven Pressfield (The War of Art)

An entry from my portrait journal for IF's 'fearless'. I've always been fascinated with surreal artwork and actually any art that at first glance doesn't make any sense to me. Yet when I try to create a piece like that myself, logic always seems to get in the way. This was a huge step forward for me as far as being 'fearless' and actually completing a piece even when the elements didn't 'go together', at least not in my mind.

I've been studying song birds recently and as I flipped through my book, a page opened to the American Crow 'Corvus brachyrhynchos', I added it to the portrait I was working on without thinking why/where to put it and quickly too before I changed my mind. I'm not really sure what the meaning of this piece is for me altho I'm sure an analyst somewhere would have a few things to say about it (ha!) - but doesn't all of our work speak for us on some level??

Have a great week!

5 comments:

roberto M. said...

beautiful drawing and beautiful colour.

Tracy said...

your portrait drawing is really good. I am a high school art teacher and I am going to be covering portrait drawing soon. I just wanted to say congrates on the amazing drawing :)

Jennifer White said...

This is one of my favorites Laura... the gaze is so mystifying!

studio lolo said...

Oh, you know you've got me with this one! You did an amazing job on the crow and her gaze upon him.
In Native American lore ravens/crows are messengers from the other side. Raven is my personal totem (which is why they keep coming up in my own art.)

This is really beautiful, my friend ;) ♥

Janny said...

WOW, it's gorgeous!