Thursday, January 7, 2010

What's your color for 2010?

Happy New Year everyone! Finally back home, I hope that you & yours are well... I'm getting a super slow start on things as the year begins, quite unusual for me. I don't think I'm alone when I say that 2009 had many ups & downs, it was no problem for me bidding it a fond farewell!
How is your year starting out? Are you doing some art journaling, maybe you've written out some goals, dreams, hopes for the months ahead? Perhaps you've even gotten as far as planning out where you want to be 3-5 years from now, personally and/or professionally (wow, good for you) I find that imagery helps me stay more focused so I've started to put together a vision board... what works best for you?

Along with my affirmations words FAITH and HEAL this year I wanted to do something a bit different. I decided to add a 'focus' color and surround myself with it as I believe color has a really deep way of influencing us... which color would you choose for yourself to help motivate, inspire and maybe even heal you?


I'm going with a longtime favorite of mine, Turquoise, which also happens to be Pantone's Color of the Year for 2010. I've always loved it and the many shades that it comes in. I've been drawn to it more at different times in my life, but didn't make the connection until I read the article below from the Pantone website - I'm especially intrigued where it mentions that the color turquoise is considered a protective talisman:

Pantone Unveils Color of the Year for 2010: PANTONE 15-5519 Turquoise
Turquoise Transports Us to an Exciting, Tropical Paradise While Offering a Sense of Protection and Healing in Stressful Times.

Combining the serene qualities of blue and the invigorating aspects of green, Turquoise evokes thoughts of soothing, tropical waters and a languorous, effective escape from the everyday troubles of the world,while at the same time restoring our sense of wellbeing.

“In many cultures, Turquoise occupies a very special position in the world of color,” explains Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute®. “It is believed to be a protective talisman, a color of deep compassion and healing, and a color of faith and truth, inspired by water and sky. Through years of color word-association studies, we also find that Turquoise represents an escape to many – taking them to a tropical paradise that is pleasant and inviting, even if only a fantasy.” You can read the article in full here

* * * * *
I hope to have some new art to share soon and I've also been thinking of doing a giveaway before the end of January, so stay tuned. Until then, be well...

4 comments:

Jennifer White said...

My color of the year... I WILL get back to you on that. I need to read that article. Turquoise...even though we've never met in person, I can sooooo see that this is your color! Don't ask me why, I have no reason.

I was so excited to see a post from you. 2010 can be the year for you, sweet Laura...for me as well, I hope. I bid farewell to 2009 in a pretty crass way to be honest, involving a little flipping of the bird! LOL!

So 2010, watch out...I think some amazing things will come from A Tailored Line and I'm in for the long haul to watch you and turquoise be at the top of your game...xo

Regina said...

Happy New Year. What a beautiful image you posted! I love the landscape of the Southwest. I also like the way you framed the image. Is it a part of your editing program or was it free-ware from the net?

I LOVE turquoise. In fact, I've got an art board started with layers of the color on my art table right now.

studio lolo said...

Nice to see you back, and happiest of new years to you as well!!

What a great idea, choosing a color for the year. Turquoise is one of my standards. Most of my clothes are in that family and I wear lots of turquoise and silver. I can totally see this as your color Laura ;)

I also love all blues and I especially love periwinkle. Hmmmm. I have to think about a color that could represent me for the year!

This year I hope to try new mediums and processes and be open to all possiblities. Only in the past three days have I come to embrace/accept all the changes I went through in 2009 and I have to tell you I'm almost giddy! I'm going to make the best of all of it and come out on top.

Looking forward to seeing the art you'll share with us in this new year.

love and blessings,

Laurel

Art Glitter said...

Love turquoise, and the photo and all of Arizona too!