Wednesday, February 18, 2009

New Work - Digital love

Thought I'd share some pics from my latest obession - digital art or as my friend Chrysti Hydeck likes to call it, 'artography' in the CPS article featuring her work. I was also inspired by another artist friend Susan Tuttle. There's a chapter on digital art in her book, Exhibition 36 where she explains how to design your own brushes. I met both of these lovely souls at ConvenZioNE in California last year (incidentally the photo is from a local vineyard that I visited there) and I do believe it was for a reason. Both of them have influenced the direction of my work in some way since I returned.

This is the final piece, I was going for a surreal, dramatic look. I tweaked it a bit more and added another layer of texture:


"Moody" digital fine art, prints available here

Here are two of the original photos I used:




Anyhow, I've been playing around with layers & actions, designing my own brushes and just plain having FUN. Plus I love the ease of working in this medium - no mess to clean up, anything you don't like is gone with a 'click' and you can work at it whenever you want without the need for daylight (which I tend to favor for traditional painting & illustration work)

I know I've just scratched the surface of this medium, so to speak but I'm looking forward to all the directions I can go with it.

I hope I've inspired you to give it a try!!Have a great week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the shot turned out beautiful...especially love how the sun is muted.

studio lolo said...

What program did you use for this? I don't know anything about digital programs...well, not much. I adjust my photos on Flickr with their tools. As far as other art, I can do digital collages in this cheap greeting card program I bought. But I have NO idea how to use Photoshop or others like it.
I've been resistant to most of them because I'm such a "traditional" art lover.
This looks like fun though. I'd like to use the technique for collages!