Monday, September 24, 2007

Muse Monday: week seven



First of all - wow! I can't believe it's been seven (7) weeks since I started posting inspirational ideas, unique finds and progress on my new studio space for Muse Mondays. I have to say it has been such a pleasure sharing it with you, dear blog visitor/reader and has really kept me motivated and inspired throughout the transition. I hope I've given you some ideas or inspired you and at the very least, entertained you somewhat :) The pic above is my new inspiration board propped up against one of the walls, I went with a light buttery shade of creamy yellow for the walls, it really opens up and brightens this north-facing room. I'm still debating on accent colors.

Second, I'm thrilled to announce that the remodelling is almost done - yay!! We've had some stops and starts but really made progress this past week so I'm finally feeling like this fresh, new space will soon be mine - all mine, hee!

I also feel really good that we recycled and refurnished wherever possible - case in the point the baseboards below. At 8" high and solid oak, these beauties are a wonderful way for us to preserve something original to the house, so we decided to refinish them. After sanding, it's paint & installation tomorrow!



Layers and layers of paint had to come off first though and what a job let me tell you. However, as I worked at removing the layers, I couldn't help but think about all the layers that build up in our own lives over the years. As we grow from young children into adults with children of our own, every experience adds a layer to who we are. Some layers are filled with happiness and joy and some are sprinkled with imperfections and rough spots. Some are thick and enduring while others are fragile or faded. But there's beauty in layers...and each one of us has different ones built up - even two people experiencing the same thing tend to 'layer' the experience in their own way and that's what makes us unique!

How may layers do you have? Maybe you've peeled away or shed ones that no longer 'fit'? Have you revealed or revelled in the beauty of your layers recently? Remember, it's what makes you YOU.

3 comments:

K said...

Love your thoughts on layers, Laura! We have so many, don't we?

It's too bad you couldn't refinish that oak woodwork, but it made me think of some rooms I've seen with woodwork in a warm yellowish tan that is grained to look like oak. I'm not suggesting you grain it, but a warm oak tan for the trim would love marvelous with those delightful yellow walls, I think. Anyway, I'll be interested to see what you decide on.

LINDSAY said...

Yum Yum, I love me some layers! Inspiration board is essential! What a lovely way to display things you love :)

Susan Tuttle said...

Hi Laura,
Your new space is really coming along!! I love the inspiration board--gorgeous frame--and the buttery color you chose for the wall.

Your writing on 'layers' is beautiful--it really had me thinking about the layers of my life and of those that are close to me. It also made me think about artwork--and all of the layers we often put into them.

Thank you so much for your kind words about Artwords--it was WONDERFUL to have you as a contributor--thank you for helping to make Artwords the special place that it was.

Susan
xox